Wednesday 26 October 2016

My Silver Hair Secret: milk_shake Silver Shine

Being a blonde haired girl has its benefits! We can use dry shampoo for days without anyone being the wiser, we can get away with having a dumb moment by blaming it on our hair color and apparently we have more fun! (Unsure if I really believe that last one, but I'll take it!)

However, one thing we battle with is keeping our blonde that perfect "just left the salon" color for longer than our first hair wash. Many blonde and grey haired people struggle with keeping those yellow tones out of their hair and having to frequent the salon to get a toner applied every 3-6 weeks. Going to the salon just to get your hair toned can be very expensive and harsh on your hair, especially if it's already damaged. But luckily we can use violet shampoo to help prevent those brassy tones from showing their ugly face. A violet shampoo is an important part of combating brassiness and keeping your hair beautifully toned. 

(Side note: Having a great hairdresser who knows how to work with blondes is also key! Thanks Janel  )



Why should blondes use a violet shampoo?
To better understand why the violet shampoo helps balance the brassiness in your hair the breakdown is very simple. Violet shampoo uses basic color balancing to help hide brassy tones. When we wash our hair with a violet shampoo, our hair absorbs a small amount of purple pigment, which will help cancel out red and yellow undertones, making your blue undertones higher. Therefore, violet shampoo gives brassy, yellow tones the boot and you're left with a more cool and appealing tone.


The best of the best!
I've tried so many violet shampoos to help keep my hair the silver/lavender color, but one shampoo stands out from the rest!



milk_shake Silver Shine is hands down the best violet shampoo out there! I use the shampoo and whipped cream conditioning foam to help balance the brassiness and to keep my lavender tone. Both of these products work so well together and helps to elevate the lavender color to the next level. 

milk_shake Silver Shine Shampoo
The Silver Shine shampoo helps counteract yellow tones in natural, lightened blonde, grey and white hair. This shampoo is also SLS and SLES free, which means it is free from sulphates. Sulphates can cause your hair and scalp to dry out, which in turn can damage hair and cause dandruff. It uses milk proteins and organic mixed berries extracts to leave your hair shiny, soft and healthy. This product is so potently purple that if you don't rinse your hands immediately afterwards it can leave a purple stain on your hands. 


milk_shake Silver Shine Whipped Cream
Another amazing product in this line is the Silver Shine Whipped Cream. It is used the same as a mousse but it's a creamy conditioning foam that helps condition, detangle and preserve hair color. It's not like other mousses that make your hair crunchy and leave a film on the surface, this product helps counteract the brassiness even further than just using the shampoo alone and helps put moisture back into your hair.



How long should you leave it on?

Silver Shine Shampoo
To achieve a silver or lavender color
When I wash my hair, I wash it twice. The first time to clean my hair of any dirt and grease and the second time I leave it in my hair as a "color treatment". The second time I will leave the shampoo in my hair for about 5 minutes and I do this every time I wash my hair. 

This product is so pigmented that it can definitely take a very light blonde to a more silver tone, which has become a popular hair trend. To try to achieve this you would have to leave it on for about 10-12 minutes for your hair to grab the purple color. 

To achieve a balanced, brass-free blonde
For people who don't want the lavender or silver tone but want to get those yellow tones out, I suggest not leaving the shampoo in for a significant amount of time. Instead you should use this product once every three washes, but leave it on for about 3-6 minutes. 


Silver Shine Whipped Cream
This product is applied to damp hair before drying. You distribute this product evenly throughout the hair to help detangle and to enrich the violet tone. This is basically considered a leave in treatment and there is no rinsing involved. It helps condition your hair and provide it with extra nourishment. 

I find after using this product my hair feels much shinier and softer and when I dry my hair, it isn't a huge fluff ball afterwards. 


The result...
Amazing brass-free locks! This shampoo and mousse gives immediate results and is such an investment for your hair! I always follow up my shampoo with a conditioner, so don't forget that step! Adding the mousse has definitely made my hair stronger and healthier and is now a vital step to my hair care regime.

My hair naturally pulls gold and without a violet balancing shampoo my hair would never be the color that it is today. These products have really helped my hair become more healthy by not making a trip to the hairdresser every few weeks, as well the fact that it is sulphate free has completely changed the integrity of my hair. 


    May (the last time I had my hair toned)
    

     October
  


I found where my real hair was more damaged, that when I did use my old violet shampoo that it would grab to my extensions (I have Great Lengths-an extension that is attached to strands of hair) and not to my real hair. Due to this my hair would be all different shades of purple, grey and blonde, but milk_shake Silver Shine grabs to my real hair equally as much to my extensions so everything now much more even in color.


Where to get milk_shake Silver Shine

In St. John's
The only salon in St. John's you can pick this product up is at Signature Salon. So pop by before they're all gone!


Hairdressers
If you are a hairdresser this product is available through Professional Beauty Supplies.



If you're a blonde and struggle with brassy hair, I highly suggest picking up this product! I promise you'll thank me and milk_shake afterwards 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing very nice detailed information. Please check haute her tips

    ReplyDelete